A blog is not a doctor...

Nothing on this page is meant to substitute for getting the advice of a doctor who knows you and is familiar with your medical history. If you reside in California and wish to be a patient in my advice practice, please go to http://www.myadvicedr.com and click for your free initial consultation.

Search This Blog

Friday, March 19, 2010

Organic Chicken and Illness: Silly Checkout Comment

A Costco checkout clerk yesterday felt obligated to let me know that if I ate organic chicken, I should be very careful about how I handled it to prevent bacterial infections such as E. coli.

While I appreciated his concern for me and other Costco shoppers, this man is spreading misinformation. People are no more likely to catch E. coli from organic chicken than from any other form of chicken. Organic chicken simply means that the food the chicken is fed is grown without pesticides. Even whether chickens are treated with antibiotics or not has nothing to do with whether we catch bacterial infections from them. Catching bacterial infections such as E. coli or Salmonella from chicken has only to do with how the chicken is handled from the point at which it is slaughtered until you eat it.

For more information, see http://www.organicconsumers.org/articles/article_19725.cfm

No comments: